About The We Love Christian Music Awards
Christian music has come a long way. From church hymnals to the Jesus Movement to Jesus-loving dubstep and hip-hop, we are witness to an explosion of expressions of Jesus in modern music.
In Spring 2012, the folks behind NewReleaseTuesday.com—the largest Christian entertainment site online—started asking some “what if” questions. What if we started an awards show? What if we celebrated the best of a given calendar year? What if we had some unorthodox categories? What if the fans had a say in who took home the trophies?
We love Christian music. And chances are, if you’re reading this, you do, too. From the worship songs sung by millions on Sunday morning to the niche genres that surprise even the most seasoned mainstream music fans, to the crossover artists making an impact on the Top 40 charts, there is much to love about Christian music these days.
The WE LOVE CHRISTIAN MUSIC AWARDS is a chance for those of us who make, sell and appreciate faith-based music to celebrate the achievements and innovation of that which we love.
We’re not the only Chrisitan music awards on the block, it’s true. But we believe we offer something different to the Christian music landscape.
For starters, we’re powered by the fans of Christian music. And because the fans have a voice, there’s bound to be some campaigning, which furthers our main goal of spreading Christian music—the subject of it, Jesus Christ—to new audiences.
An awards show for the digital age, the WE LOVE CHRISTIAN MUSIC AWARDS is leading the way in making full use of the online tools available, including social media, live awards show simulcasts from major Christian music events, digital video, online voting and more. It’s powered by the largest online community of Christian music enthusiasts, NewReleaseTuesday.com, and so it carries a considerable knowledge and fan base already accustomed to the digital frontier.
Our awards aren’t like awards at other shows, either. We wanted to turn the awards show on its head, so while we do have the expected general categories like Group of the Year, Song of the Year and Album of the Year, we have some unorthodox categories like The Rockfist (Best Rock/Alternative Artist or Group), Best Lecrae Collab (to recognized 2012’s proliferation of rapper Lecrae’s contributions) and Groundbreaker (to give special recognition to artists who are pushing the envelope creatively). We also make special notice of up-and-coming genres of Christian music, including the BPM Award (for Best Dance/Electronic Artist or Group), the Vibe Award (for Best Urban/Hip-hop Artist or Group) and a category long left out of the major Christian award shows, the Hardcore Award (for Best Hard Rock/Metal).
The nomination criteria is pretty simple, too. The artists and projects nominated must have been active or created within the show’s preceding calendar year. So, our inaugural awards show features artists and works created from January 1-December 31, 2012.
Plans are already underway for our 2nd Annual awards which will kick off in November 2013.
Nominees in each category were determined by the 20 members of the We Love Committee, a group made up of of industry insiders and editorial staff at NewReleaseTuesday.com. Each member was asked to submit three write-in nominations in each category and were blind to other submissions. A second round of voting broke any ties that determined the final five nominees in each category.
Voting for the 1st Annual We Love Christian Music Awards opened Friday, November 30, 2012 and closed on Monday, January 14, 2013. Winners were chosen by a combination of the public vote as well as the We Love Committee vote. All voting took place online at NewReleaseTuesday.com's Facebook page.
Winners were announced live from The Rock & Worship Roadshow and online through live Google Hangouts.
The following people served on the 1st Annual We Love Christian Music Awards committee.
- Kevin McNeese, President, NewReleaseTuesday.com
- Marcus Hathcock, Senior Editor, NewReleaseTuesday.com
- Bill Lurwick, Audio Production, NewReleaseTuesday.com
- Kevin Davis, Lead Contributor, NewReleaseTuesday.com
- Sarah Fine, Contributor, NewReleaseTuesday.com
- Mary Burklin, Contributor, NewReleaseTuesday.com
- Dawn Teresa, Contributor, NewReleaseTuesday.com
- Kelly Sheads, Contributor, NewReleaseTuesday.com
- Dan Hubka, Senior Music Buyer, Family Christian Stores
- John Van der veen, Social Media Manager, Family Christian Stores
- Chris Estes, Independent Marketing Firm
- Dusty Wells, Sr. Director of Sales, Word Entertainment
- John Allen, Marketing Manager, EMICMG Distribution
- Randy Davis, VP Sales & Marketing, Provident Distribution
- Travis Culver, Program Director, KTSY
- Angee Langenberg, Independent Marketing Firm
- Scott Ferenbacher, Sr Vice President, Grand Canyon University
- Chris Chicago, Shamrock Media Group
- Scott Shuford, President, FrontGate Media
- Kevin Summer, President, 1 Eighty Apparel